06 Apr How to create and activate your SSH key
Blue Host Had my dog appreciation website for at least 4 years, and made a really serious mistake. They changed my account from an automatic renewal to manual and never sent me an E-mail. Then they canceled my account and deleted my website complete with the awards the website had received. And they didn’t keep a backup on file. I’ll choose someone else to host my site. This company is terrible.
Secure Shell is a network communication protocol that enables two computers to communicate and share data. An inherent feature of ssh is that the communication between the two computers is encrypted, meaning that it is suitable for use on insecure networks.
In today’s video, we will be looking at how you can create and activate your SSH key. The first thing that you will have to ensure is that Shell access has been enabled. By default, Bluehost disables Shell access. You can reverse this by contacting our support team.
– Once shell access has been enabled, log in to your Bluehost panel. And from your menu, click on the ‘Advanced’ tab to access your cPanel
– Scroll down to the security section and click on the ‘SSH’ option.
– Once on the SSH Access page, click on ‘Manage SSH Keys’. From here, you can create the SSH keys for your cPanel server.
– Click on ‘Generate a new Key’.
– The Key name will be “id_rsa” by default. You can change the name to make it memorable for you. Please ensure that the Key name doesn’t have any ‘space’ between the characters.
– For enhanced security, you can set up a password for your SSH key. In this video, we are going to bypass this step.
– The Key type will be RSA by default, and the key size is 2048 by default but you can change it to 4096 for improved security.
– Hit ‘Generate Key’. And with that, you have successfully generated your SSH Key. Click on “Go back” to continue. Even after the SSH Key is generated, it won’t be active. Thus the first thing we need to do is authorise it.
– Click on “Manage” and then click on Authorise. With that, you have now activated your SSH Key.
And with that, you have now created and activated your SSH key
We hope that this will help you understand how to create and activate your SSH key. If you still need more help, then please reach out to us at https://www.bluehost.in/contact.